Health Professions Education online Postgraduate Certificate
Prepare the next generation of healthcare leaders
Study online, on your terms
Health professionals face increasing requirements to prove their abilities and attitudes toward teaching in their professional practice. Our online health professions education postgraduate certificate programme is designed for busy clinical professionals who have their undergraduate degree, work in healthcare roles, and who are looking to advance their teaching, management, and research skills in health education. Run by the prestigious School of Medicine, Dentistry & Nursing, you will have access to a global network for contemporary educational thinking and can learn online in a part-time format when and where it’s best for you, so as to not interrupt your clinical practice.
The University of Glasgow has been changing the world since 1451. Let our history of excellence inspire the history you will make. Study online with us and start making your impact on the world today.
1–2 year duration
3 start dates per year
NHS discount available
Complete the form below for detailed programme information and to be contacted by phone and/or email.
Note: * Required field.
For details on other degree options request more information to speak to an admissions representative.
Bring fresh thinking and new techniques to health education
This postgraduate certificate offers maximum flexibility to students who wish to study health professions education and immediately apply what they learn in their professional practice. The part-time programme features the following topics:
Explore how to identify and critique various theories of learning and apply them to the design of learning in a health professions context.
Identify teaching methods, examine their effectiveness, and critique their appropriateness for health professionals.
Review various forms of assessment and sharpen your ability to select the most appropriate form to measure knowledge.
Interactive online learning
No matter where you are, you can experience relevant learning that applies to the real world as you build community with students from over 83 countries worldwide.**
- Our virtual learning environment is easy to use and can be accessed on mobile, tablet or desktop devices.
- Programme content is delivered in bite-sized chunks to suit your schedule and the online format.
- Take breaks between courses and have catch-up weeks in the middle of courses to ensure you remain up to speed with your learning.
An ideal education option for ambitious health professionals
For healthcare professionals seeking influential roles in health professions education, our programme allows you to gain the skills you need in as little as one year. Through leading research and world-class faculty, we help you gain the confidence and knowledge you need to further your career in the healthcare field.
Our graduates further their careers as:
- Occupational Therapists
The programme lays the groundwork for those hoping to continue their education in our MSc programme to further advance their careers in the health profession.
- Design and implement a learning-teaching-and-assessment package relevant to your professional context.
- Apply core principles and current theories of learning and teaching to the design of a range of learning opportunities/teaching activities.
- Select appropriate assessment strategies and tools to assess the knowledge, skills, and attitudes required of health professionals.
- Critically appraise the impact of technology-enhanced learning and teaching (TELT) on educational provision.
Glasgow is ranked in the top 5 for medicine, dentistry and nursing by the Complete University Guide 2023.1
“Many thanks for providing a stimulating online course over the past year. It really has helped me develop and change my teaching skills positively.”
– Radiologist, Health Professions Education Online PGCert student
- “Medicine – Subject Lead Table 2023,” Complete University Guide. Retrieved 15 June 2022, from www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk.
*Fee information is subject to change and is for guidance only.
**We have students in 83 countries around the world. Data accessed April 2022.