Online MSc in Health Professions Education
Bring fresh thinking into health professions education
Study online, on your terms
Delivering necessary training to support you on a journey of professional development in your educator role, the Online MSc in Health Professions Education from the University of Glasgow helps you achieve your goals as you help your learners achieve theirs.
Designed for healthcare professionals who aspire to more influential teaching, management or research-based roles, our online Health Professions Education postgraduate programme provides an excellent foundation to take the next step in your career. This online MSc equips you with a skillset that develops your confidence and competence in the health professions education field.
Run by the prestigious School of Medicine, Dentistry & Nursing, studying online here means you’re on the pulse of contemporary educational thinking. Join an institution where ambitious people are driven to succeed. Study our online MSc in Health Professions Education and start changing the world today.
Three starts a year
Russell Group Member
Complete the form below for detailed programme information and to be contacted by phone and/or email.
Note: * Required field.
Engage with the essentials of teaching and assessment
Our online Health Professions Education programme offers you the flexibility to take one of two research routes, tailored to your career goals. There’s a research-oriented option for those interested in learning about the design, conduct and governance of education research. For practitioners keen to apply educational theory and evidence to specific contexts, we offer an alternative route, with optional courses including curriculum management, design and evaluation.
Both variants provide plenty of opportunities to put theory into practice, alongside your peers and lecturers – a perfect solution for working professionals wishing to develop specialist skills.
Discover some of our courses that feature in our 100% online programme below.
In this course, students will identify various teaching methods; examine the evidence base for their effectiveness; and critique the appropriateness of these methods for facilitating the acquisition and application of the knowledge, skills and attitudes required by health professionals. Students will design novel teaching activities to implement in their professional context and evaluate their own teaching practice, identifying areas for enhancement.
In this course, students will identify, critique and apply various approaches to, and models for, designing a health professions curriculum. Additionally, students will identify the various stakeholders in a health professions curriculum and critically evaluate their impact.
In this course, students will learn about the theory and practice of leadership in health professions education and will reflect on how this applies in their professional context. As they develop their knowledge and understanding of leadership in the context of health professions education, they will be able to analyse their personal approach to leadership and their effectiveness.
Interactive online learning
No matter where you are, you can experience relevant learning that applies to the real world as you build community with students from over 83 countries worldwide.**
- Our virtual learning environment is easy to use and can be accessed on mobile, tablet or desktop devices.
- Programme content is delivered in bite-sized chunks to suit your schedule and the online format.
- Take breaks between courses and have catch-up weeks in the middle of courses to ensure you remain up to speed with your learning.
This programme is ideal if you’re an ambitious health professional seeking an influential role in the management and delivery of education. Through leading research, world-class faculty and practical, collaborative peer exercises, we will help you to develop the confidence and specialist skills you need to further your career in this field.
It will also provide an ideal grounding for those who decide to pursue doctoral research in health professions education.
Recent graduates have furthered their careers as:
- Doctors (mainly clinical)
- Occupational therapists
- General practitioners (GPs)
- Family medicine practitioners
- Debate principles behind learning and teaching and the nature of knowledge and evidence
- Evaluate and apply appropriate theories, practices, assessment strategies and curriculum models
- Appraise the impact of technology-enhanced learning and teaching on education
- Identify the drivers for particular curricula and evaluate their influence
- Explore the impact of policy on healthcare education development
- Critically assess governance mechanisms in health professions education
Over 500 years of groundbreaking research
The University of Glasgow has been changing the world since 1451. Let our history of excellence inspire the history you will make. Study online with us and start making your impact on the world today.
University ranked 51st in the world for Life Sciences & Medicine – QS World University Rankings by Subject 20221
Ranked 1st in the UK for for Nursing and 3rd for Medicine – Complete University Guide 20232
95% of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences research was judged as world-leading or internationally excellent – REF 20213
“The best part of the course so far is the learning through interaction with the many different professionals that come from different multidisciplinary backgrounds and cultures. As we engage and share our reflections/learnings through our weekly reflection point forums, I have gained so much insight and perspectives which shaped the way I practice and teach.”
– Tan Si Hui Evangeline, Online MSc in Health Professions Education student
- “QS World University Rankings by subject 2022,” QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. Retrieved 17 May 2022, from www.topuniversities.com.
- “Subject League Table 2023,” Complete University Guide. Retrieved 27 July 2022, from www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk.
- “REF 2021” The Research Excellence Framework (REF). Retrieved 17 May 2022, from www.gla.ac.uk.
* Fee information is subject to change and is for guidance only. NHS discount: Payable in instalments of £1,050 per 20 credits or £9,450 for the full MSc funded by the NHS.”
** We have students in 83 countries around the world. Data accessed April 2022.